Before our trip to Mexico in April of 2013 I think I cooked nothing but Latin food for at least a week before we went. I was just feeling that vibe!
We got back on May 4th and completely spaced the whole “Cinco de Mayo” thing that was happening the next day. Needless to say, we were swamped with Mexican food for another few days after we got back. I couldn’t even look at a taco for weeks after that binge fest.
Here’s a meal I put together a few days before we left – Cayenne Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Relish and Corn Salsa. Don’t be turned off by the cayenne pepper – it ends up being rather mild and the avocado really helps mellow out the dish. The corn salsa has just enough acidity from the lime juice to complement the richness of the chicken dish.
Makes: 2 Servings
[for the chicken dish]
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz. each)
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil (olive oil works fine, too)
- 1 very small red onion, diced
- 1/2 of an avocado, preferably Hass, chopped into big chunks
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
[for the corn salsa]
- 1 cup cooked yellow corn (frozen is fine, but let it thaw in the fridge first)
- 1/2 medium firm tomato, diced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/8 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- Juice of one half of a lime
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
[for the corn salsa] – Make this first and let the ingredients get acquainted in the fridge while you work on the chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomato, green and red onions, and jalapeno. Stir to combine.
- Add the juice of one lime, fresh cilantro, and chili powder. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to season.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, preferably at least 30 minutes.
[for the chicken dish]
- In a small dish, combine the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Rub the mixture all over the surface of your two chicken breasts.
- Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add the grapeseed oil.
- Add the chicken breasts and let cook for one minute, then turn them over.
- Turn the heat down to low right away and cover the chicken.
- After ten minutes (absolutely no peeking!), turn the heat off and let the chicken rest for another ten minutes (again, don’t you dare lift that lid!).
- Meanwhile, make the avocado relish and pour yourself a glass of wine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onion and lime juice. Let it sit for a minute to mellow out the onion. Sip your wine.
- Get your avocado all chopped up and season it with salt and pepper.
- Once your chicken is done, fold the avocado into the onion and lime juice mixture. Top your chicken with the avocado mixture and serve with a side of corn relish.
Corn salsa adapted from Skinny Taste.
Nutrition (half the whole recipe):
384 calories, 19 g. fat, 30 g. protein, 29 g. carbs, 7 g. fiber. WW PointsPlus: 10